Friday, June 27, 2008



In Memory of My 'Taiko'


Taiko literary means eldest brother in Chinese. In a family, taiko, as the eldest son of the family, usually has to help the parents to shoulder responsibilities of bringing up the younger brothers and sisters. There is a saying common among the Chinese, that is, “don’t ever be the eldest son of so and so”, meaning that "don’t be so stupid as to be fully exploited by the person". My father was a cloth merchant 50 years ago. My taiko came from China at the age of thirteen to help my father in the business. When the business failed miserably, my taiko had to be converted overnight as a sheet metal worker to support the whole family. He was the sole pillar in the family at the age of early twenties. Everyday, he slogged more than 10 hours non-stop to make ends meet. Though life was difficult at those times, he was determined to provide his younger brothers and sister with the best education that he could afford. On the other hand, he himself led a very simple and thrifty life. He practically never ate out. My mum had times and again told me privately not forget my taiko's sacrifice for the family, without him the family would have turned hay-wire long ago; his younger brothers and sister would have to join the work force at their teens.

I told my nephews and nieces that they had a common but a great father. With his pair of magnificent hands, he could feed the mouths of 3 generations under the same roof.

I am very indebted to my taiko, really.

3 comments:

psliew said...

He is a great father, with his sacrifice, we now have a good life. I am so proud to have this father.

Erin said...

his a great father, a great uncle, a great granpa. i oso took him as my father. everyone of us reli do respect him n love him wit all our heart!
we will bvr forget wat he had done for us, without him, liew family wun b so successfull
he work hard to earn money for his brother and sisters to study.
N now because of their success brought us such gud lives.

Unknown said...

My privilege to be introduced to your blog since May 2009, and just came across this article about your taiko. I know it has been awhile since he passed on; my belated condolences to you and your family.I still can remember vividly his facial features as a young man.......
sitting on a low stool,always bent over some metal object and shaping it into something useful with his tools. The familiar scene is etched in my memory, as I frequently passed by your shop house on the way to Bak Tee's. From your picture of him, I gather he lived to a ripe old age and looked healthy. I doubt if we can find the kind of sense of responsibility and sacrifice portrayed by him in our younger generation of today. I know that you know you were very fortunate to have him as your taiko, and hence your article as a tribute to him. May he rest in peace.