Sunday, December 19, 2010

My First Impression on my Myanmar Visit

For days
I wandered
through this Golden Land,
By planes and coaches,
By boats and bullock cart.
To witness
the raw lives of an ancient people. Not for a moment,
was I not confused and puzzled with
the contradicting realities that abound.
In this vast land with lakes and rivers aplenty,
which is further adored and nurtured
by the Mother River Irrawaddy.
Yet,
it’s a land of
wretched lives.
At every sanctum
where tourist throng
One too many women and children
shabbily dressed and unshod,
begging for mercy and money,
in unmistakable English
“Hello, no money.”
Time and again,
I wonder,
in this country with incalculable riches
with a myriad of éclat of the past,
the renowned Rangoon rice, logs and cheroot.

As yet,
her people has to implore piteously for
a meager comestible.
Who should take the rap?
Her people or the military junta
or the Super Powers
with its economic sanctions?

Pompous reasons
do not erase the fact
Gentle Burmese
Suffer immensely
in the land deluge
with richness.

5 comments:

nesh said...

Hi,
I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.

Best of luck to you!

Cheers,
New Delhi Budget Hotel
Pakej-JWA V25 Semakin Hangat
Google Adsense

zest-zipper said...

Hi,Hajarwan,
Thank you for taking an interest in reading my blog.
All the best to you!

Cheers,
Zest

Siew Sim said...

Never resting on your laurel eh! sadly, this is a typical face of the materially disadvantage people of the world. Hence, I try to remind myself of my good fortune all the time. Love to missus, Lee Hoon(sorry if incorrect)

Unknown said...

A very poignant piece on the realities and predicaments of the common peoples' lives when the powers that be refused to see further than their own selfish agenda. On the lighter side though, you can certainly write for a living!! Please continue to enlighten us.

zest-zipper said...

This is the first poem I attempted to write. After my 'sifu' has corrected it,the poem has transformed itself in such a way that even "a mother would not be able to recognize her own son". That shows how bad is the standard of my writting.
Luckily, I am blessed with a good 'sifu', and people & friends,especially the two 'Sim's[Pek Sim & Siew Sim], who keep on encouraging me to write.

Without the support of all of you, I don't think I have the zest to keep on writing.
Thank you everybody and God Bless you.