Thursday, July 10, 2008

Old Khoo_ My Swimming Instructor

Mr. Khoo, 秋森, is my present swimming instructor. At the age of 62, he had qualified as a life guard with the attaining of International Life Saving Certificate. He joined the Butterworth Life Saving Society and took part in the 24 hour swimming relay organized by the society on December, 2005. In that event, every participant had to swim for 2 hours non stop at one go.

Mr.Khoo was a primary school teacher. He started teaching in the year 1957. In his teaching career of 33 years, he never took any medical leave except 4 days he took for his mother’s funeral. He retired 19 years ago. After retirement he tried out several jobs, working as a shop assistant, a factory supervisor and a private school clerk before he finally settled down as a swimming instructor.

At the moment he is a life guard cum swimming instructor attached to BM Country Club. He likes his present job as it provides him an opportunity to have a dairy exercise of swimming. He usually swims for half an hour or so before he goes back for lunch.

He is very ethical in his coaching. He only coaches those who are really interested in swimming. He does not want his learner to waste the money while he wastes the time. He would not accept learners below the age of 9 as he feels that these children are still not ready to learn swimming; they just like to play in the water.

In a swimming course of ten lessons, he will try to teach his students as many skills as they can master. Among the skills he tries to impart are breast strokes, free style swimming and diving. When I was first introduced to him, I was quite sceptical that a man at the age of 74 could still teach me swimming. However, after went through a few lessons with him, I was convinced that I found the right instructor. Unlike other instructors, Mr. Khoo would explain carefully and patiently the mistakes I made in swimming based on his experience, his knowledge of scientific theory and logical reasoning. He helped me to correct my mistakes irrespective of the amount of time spent.

He assured me that even if I cannot master the free style swimming technique by the end of the course, he would still coach me further until I master it. Rarely can one find a dedicated swimming instructor like him, especially in our present commercialized world.

Related stories:
http://zest-zipper.blogspot.com/2012/11/the-marvel-of-watergym-have-you-ever.html
http://zest-zipper.blogspot.com/2013/09/the-demise-of-sports-club.html


 

3 comments:

Admin said...

I took my life guard exam on the same day. Glad that he is still active pursuing the interest.

zest-zipper said...

Mr.Khoo passed away on June 20,2011 after a road accident. May his soul rest in peace.

~Desmond~ said...

Mr.Khoo is a qualify international Life Guard. He passed with flying colours.
We always miss him during our Chinese New Annual Dinner and tonight will be our annual dinner.

As an examiner to Mr. Khoo i proud of him.

ooi win juat