Sunday, July 13, 2008

What the photograph doesn’t “tell”


This family photograph was taken in the year 1950, one year before I was born. In the photograph my dad was holding my adopted second brother and my mum was holding my sister. My eldest brother was standing at the right whereas my adopted sister was standing at the left.

That very year of 1950 my mum gave birth to my sister. Due to the fear that my mum might not be able to conceive another baby boy as her age was catching up, my parents decided to adopt a baby boy from Kuala Ketil, Kedah as my second elder brother.

The fear of my mum was not unfounded. According to the fung- shui [风水] in our family, as was told by my eldest brother, for the past two generations, male offspring was scarce. My grandfather was the only son in the family and my dad was also the only son adopted from a Liao family. Although back in China before my mum came to Malaya, she was assured by her personal consultant, Tai Chi Oi Oi(大姊娘娘the eldest sister of the seven deities), operated through a medium, that she would give birth to some more boys when she came to Nanyang. She did not believe that prophecy could become a reality. Indeed, it was. My younger brother and I were born later.

To look after the two babies at the same time was not an easy task. My parents thought it would be much cheaper to adopt another daughter than to employ a baby sitter. The daughter adopted was Ah Yung [阿蓉]. She was supposed to help my mum to look after the younger brother and sister.

An unexpected event happened years later. Ah Yung was made pregnant by a shop assistant my father employed. As her stomach was getting bigger day by day, my parents had to let her married to the shop assistant. The personal assistant of my mum had finally become the “permanent personal assistant” of our shop assistant.

This is what the photograph does not “tell”.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

What Happened to Ah Yung?
Have we met her?
why we haven't heard about her until now?

Anyway,
how have everyone been?
and "sam pak's" entries are excellent, it made us feel more familiar about our family history..
keep up the good work, sure all of us would like to read more about your entries..
take care everyone..

Kenny

zest-zipper said...

Kenny,I remembered a few of us,including your dad if i am not mistaken, went to visit her years before but she was quite indifferent with our visit that made us abandon the effort to re-establish closer tie with her.
Hope I can write more about our family matters to be shared by your generation and hopefully the future generations to come.

Unknown said...

Sam pak, thank you for the quick reply.
any reasons why she's being indifferent to our family?
is her husband still the previous 'shop assistant'?

Kenny

zest-zipper said...

Kenny,I don't really know the actual reasons behind it.
I am not sure her present husband is still the 'shop assistant' mentioned.If, by chance, I could find out later, shall let you know.

psliew said...

We really appreciate uncle's effort to let us know our family history.I feel that all brothers, sisters, cousins' hearts now connected and tie together. This is what our grandparents and my father's spirit.

psliew said...

Do you still have memory on you and aunty went out early in the morning to collect the tin for my father to do the lamps?Write some on this if you still remember. I think all of us also want to know.

zest-zipper said...

psliew,
I shall try to write something about it if i still can remember.Thank you for the idea.